July 17, 2010

*star sampler* block 7

This week's block is very easy and a little bit different than the traditional style flying geese star block.
 
From your SOLID (mine is brown)
4 - 3 1/2 inch squares**
4 - 3 1/2 x 6 1/2 inch rectangles

From PRINT 1 (mine is the green)
1 - 6 1/2 inch square
 
From PRINT 2 (mine is the hot pink)
8 - 3 1/2 inch squares *this is a duplicate layer cake sq)
 
From PRINT 3 (mine is the white fleur de lis & yellow)
4 - 3 1/2 inch squares (I did 2 of each & used scraps)
 
From PRINT 4 (mine is aqua fleur de lis in the photo)
4 - 3 1/2 inch squares**
 
**- you only need ONE set of these fabrics, these are the corners, if you scroll down further you can find the different layouts, I chose to go w/ my solid over the aqua fleur de lis.





Start by drawing a diagonal line on the back of each of your PRINT 3.  



Take your PRINT 1 and start by taking one of your PRINT 3 and attach it to the corner of PRINT 1.



Sew on your drawn line, then trim 1/4" away from your sewn line.  Press your seam however you choose.



You need to repeat that for each of the 4 corners.  This is what your center piece should look like:



Now we're going to make the flying geese units.  Take your PRINT 2 and draw a diagonal line on the back of each square.  (let's pretend I have a photo :p)

Take a square of PRINT 2 and place it on top of your SOLID rectangle so the drawn line goes from top center to bottom corner.  Stitch on your sewn line, do this 4 times.



Now whack off the excess by cutting 1/4" away from your seam.  Do this to all four pieces then press.



Now lather, rinse, repeat to the other side.
 
Here comes the color options for the corners.  I chose the solid in my final block but here were the options.






I didn't care for the print.  If you want to save a layer cake square use your solid.  There is enough detail in the center block that you don't need the print in the corners.  

This is my final block!



2 comments:

  1. I really like this block. The colors you used remind me of ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell I'm gonna like this one. I really dislike making Flying Geese.

    ReplyDelete

i love comments!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...